Lemon Vanilla Coconut Granola
You guys know how much I love granola (if you search for granola, you’ll come up with five or so other flavors, lol). There are so many great goodies and flavors you can add to it, so I was excited to create a citrus flavored granola. 🙂 I decided lemon and vanilla would be the primary flavors of this one, so I used my lemon powder. I chose powder over fresh zest and juice because I didn’t want to risk the granola getting soggy. I thought it needed some extra texture so I also added coconut.
Let’s get to it!
The method for making this is the same as the other granolas. Start by preheating your oven and covering a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Now add your brown sugar, agave syrup, salt, vanilla extract and lemon powder to a large bowl.
We’re using agave syrup instead of maple syrup because it has a milder flavor and I didn’t want the maple syrup to overpower the lemon. Whisk it all together until it’s smooth. Now you’re going to slowly whisk in the oil to the syrup mixture until it’s completely mixed in.
It’s time for the oats and coconut! Pour your oats and coconut flakes in the bowl. Make sure you’re using old-fashioned oats (not instant) and unsweetened coconut.
Mix it all together with a rubber spatula making sure you get the syrup mixture from the bottom of the bowl and coat the oats and coconut in it.
Once everything is mixed together, pour it all out onto your covered cookie sheet.
Spread it into an even layer and then press it with the back of a spatula or your hands so that it’s compressed. This will make sure you get large hunks of granola once it’s cooked!
Now bake in the center of the oven for forty minutes, rotating halfway through. Take it out of the oven and let it cool at least an hour. In that time it’ll crisp up. Once it’s cool, break into pieces and enjoy. Store your granola in a covered container or Ziploc, it’ll last two weeks.
This granola is my favorite flavor so far! The lemon zest balanced with the vanilla is refreshing and the coconut adds some extra texture. It also smells insane when it’s baking!
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 325° and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk brown sugar, agave syrup, salt, vanilla extract and lemon powder in a large bowl until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the oil until completely mixed.
- Add oats and coconut flakes and mix with a rubber spatula making sure you get the syrup mixture from the bottom of the bowl and coat the oats and coconut in it.
- Pour onto covered cookie sheet and spread it into even layer. Compress with back of a spatular or your hands.
- Bake 40 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Cool at least an hour. Break into pieces and enjoy.
- Store in a covered container or Ziploc.