Spinach & Shrimp Salad with Passionfruit Vinaigrette
Well, it’s time for another recipe for April’s Flavor of the Month, passionfruit. I’ve been having a lot of fun trying out new recipes and love the tart and sweet taste. Seafood is something I’ve been wanting to test out and it really works well! My thinking was that tart citrus, like lemon and orange, go really well with seafood so maybe passionfruit would work the same. I really thought the combo would shine and decided the best way to incorporate passionfruit into a salad was with the vinaigrette. I will admit, the first time I made this salad I added whole fruit from a passionfruit and the texture of the seeds was off-putting, so better to have that flavor just in the vinaigrette.
This recipe is perfect for a weeknight because it’s quick and fairly easy. Another bonus is that all of the ingredients can be prepped ahead of time, so it’s a great option to bring for lunch or to throw together when you have company over.
You’ll start by cooking the shrimp. Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Now add the shrimp and sprinkle with garlic salt. Make sure the shrimp are in a single layer to they can evenly cook.
As the shrimp starts to turn pink on one side, flip them over. Sprinkle this side with more garlic salt.
Now you’ll just cook the shrimp another 4 minutes or so, or until they are firm and opaque in the center. Set the shrimp aside to cool.
Now you’ll make the vinaigrette. Mix the passionfruit puree, olive oil, onion, rice wine vinegar, salt and agave syrup in a pint jar or a bowl.
Then whisk in the bowl or cover the jar with the lid and shake until combined.
Next it’s time to assemble the salads! Divide the spinach among 4 bowls. Arrange the avocado slices on top of the spinach and then put the cooked shrimp on top.
Now give the dressing a quick stir and pour over each salad. The final step is to top the salads with the pistachios.
Not only is this salad really pretty, but it’s also delicious! The fresh spinach and pistachios add a nice crunch, the avocado adds some creaminess and then the passionfruit comes in with a little tartness. It will definitely be one we add to our “go-to” list!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- garlic salt
- 8 cups fresh spinach
- 1 ripe avocado, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup passionfruit puree
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 4 tablespoons pistachios
- Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the shrimp.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and cook until it turns pink on one side.
- Flip over the shrimp and sprinkle this side with more garlic salt. Cook another 4 minutes or until they are firm and opaque in the center. Set the shrimp aside to cool.
- Add the passionfruit puree, olive oil, onion, rice wine vinegar, salt and agave syrup in a pint jar or a bowl and combine.
- Divide the spinach among 4 bowls. Arrange the avocado slices on top of the spinach and then put the cooked shrimp on top.
- Give the dressing a quick stir and pour over each salad. Top the salads with the pistachios.