Don’t Judge Me Mondays: Passionfruit Tequila Colada
After making that passionfruit and coconut yogurt parfait recently, I was anxious to try other things with that flavor duo. A cocktail seemed like the best possible option! I also wanted to do a slushy chilled cocktail, since I feel like I haven’t shared a lot of those. Now that spring is here it’s getting to be the perfect time of year for it! All of that sounded like a version of a Piña Colada to me. However, I was curious about trying this drink with tequila instead of rum. I just felt like tequila has more zing than rum and that would really enhance the tart passionfruit flavor.
Let’s get our tequila colada on!
This drink is fairly easy to make, so the hardest part may be finding the ingredients. It uses passionfruit pulp and cream of coconut. As I’ve mentioned, passionfruit pulp can be found in the frozen section at your local Mexican grocery or Asian market. Cream of coconut is just like what it sounds, a sweet and rich coconut cream that is sweet from added sugar. Since this is normally what’s used in piña coladas, you should be able to find it in the cocktail section of your local grocery store, most likely next to the mixers, tonic water, etc.
Ok, now to the actual drink! Take your passionfruit puree out of the freezer and then get everything else ready. You want it to thaw just a few minutes to make it easier to work with, but not all the way. Having it still partially frozen will ensure you don’t have to water down the drink with too much ice. Shake the cream of coconut really well and pour it into a bowl. It may have separated a little, so mix it together in a bowl to get any clumps out.
Now measure your puree and coconut cream into a blender.
Blend on high until smooth. Then add the tequila and blend on medium until it’s mixed in.
At this point, give it a taste. I wanted mine a little thicker and super cold, so I added the ice. You may not need it if you’re happy with the consistency and temperature.
Now you’re ready to serve! This recipe makes one ginormous cocktail or 2 more reasonably sized ones. You won’t get any judgment from me if you make it one serving. 😉
If you want to get fancy, garnish with some coconut flakes, an umbrella and a straw. Enjoy while not getting caught in the rain.
- 8 ounces passionfruit puree
- 8 ounces cream of coconut
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- coconut flakes for garnish
- Take passionfruit puree out of the freezer and then get everything else ready.
- Shake the cream of coconut really well and pour it into a bowl. Mix to remove any clumps.
- Measure your puree and coconut cream into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Add the tequila and blend on medium until it's mixed in.
- Taste to determine if ice should be added to cool down and thicken the drink. If so, add the ice and blend on high until smooth.
- Garnish with some coconut flakes, an umbrella and a straw, if desired.
- This recipe makes one ginormous cocktail or 2 more reasonably sized ones.