Ok, so what now?
The past few weeks (but especially last week) have been emotionally exhausting. I thought now was a good time to take a beat and share some real talk…..and a cocktail (I think many of us could use a drink!).
I was encouraged last week to see all of the pieces, thoughts, and calls to action on social media. However, I worry that this week it will be back to radio silence when it comes to discussing racial inequality and systemic racism. I want to make sure we keep this momentum going. Keep in mind also that those of us that are people of color (POC) may take a break from social media or the news, we can never completely “take a break” from racism. We can’t peel off our skin or our non-European features to move through a country that is still all about white supremacy. Just wanted to put that out there.
I am still trying to figure out how I can further use this blog on a regular basis to discuss these issues. Not sure what that looks like, as I still would like to share lots of recipes and the like, so stay tuned.
A lot of people are still out there wondering ok, so now what? What can I do to help fight racism? Here are a just a few ways, as a reminder:
- “donate” to the cause. I am being laid off as of July (thanks ‘rona) so for us that has meant doing things in non-monetary ways and if Corona is hurting you financially, I encourage you to do the same. For us non-financial help has looked like:
- Getting the word out and educating
- Signing petitions
- Listening to other’s stories
- Watch this video that has tons of ad revenue that will go to the cause
- Using the 5 Calls App to inform our legislators what they should prioritize
- Call out racism when you see it, especially when it’s white folks and you yourself are white. If your fellow white co-worker Karen is making a racist joke it’s time to call her on it. Chances are good if someone like me says something, she’s going to see a “militant black woman” getting defensive, and not listen to a word.
- Bonus points if you are thinking, “but Rachel you don’t come across as ‘militant’”. You’re right, I’m not, but you would be surprised just how many people see black folks that stand up for themselves that way.
- Continue to evaluate your own biases, learn from them, improve your behavior and teach others with similar biases.
I appreciate all of you that realize (even it’s just recently) how important fighting racism is. Slowly, people are starting to really understand just how systemic it is in this country and why we all need to fight it. Let’s keep going!
So now onto a treat for all of us!
I’m sure you’ve seen the whipped coffee trend everywhere. I’ll admit I jumped on the bandwagon. It’s tasty and feels like a special treat. I had been saving it as a special coffee option for the weekends since when I made it, it was messy and dirtied a huge bowl (the only way I could get it to not splatter everywhere when whipped) and a hand mixer. Recently, I saw someone make a chocolate milk type cocktail topped with whipped coffee and I knew I had to try it.
Start by mixing together the instant espresso powder, hot water, and sugar in a jar.
Pop on the lid and shake several minutes until it’s light and foamy.
Now pour the milk in a large glass or measuring pitcher and add the chocolate syrup. Start with the smaller amount and taste before adding the rest. Stir in the Triple Sec.
Add a few ice cubes to 2 glasses and pour in the milk and triple sec mixture.
Gently pour the foam on top and mix in as desired.
This cocktail really feels like a reward. It’s creamy, sweet and has the lovely flavor of mocha and orange.
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1-2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Chocolate syrup(is there a reason this is here twice?)
- 2 ounces Triple Sec
- Mix instant espresso powder, hot water, and sugar in a jar. Pop on the lid and shake several minutes until light and foamy.
- Pour milk in a large glass or measuring pitcher and add chocolate syrup. Start with smaller amount and taste before adding the rest.
- Stir in Triple Sec.
- Add a few ice cubes to 2 glasses and pour in the milk and triple sec mixture.
- Pour foam gently on top and mix in as desired.