DJMM: La Penicilina
When were on vacation (which feel like years ago, rather than just 5 weeks!), I tried many new cocktails. One had mezcal and it reminded me how much I love that smoky cousin to tequila. I vowed to make some cocktails with it when I got home. I started brainstorming ideas and realized the components of a Penicillin with some tweaks would make a fabulous drink!
So let’s get to it!
The steps for this drink are fairly similar to the Penicillin I shared awhile back. You’ll start by mixing the lemon juice with the agave syrup. Let it sit until the agave syrup completely dissolves. I chose to swap the honey in the Penicillin for agave syrup because I felt like it mirrors the agave in the mezcal. I am also making this drink sweeter to offset the smokiness the mezcal brings.
While that’s sitting, fill your cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add in the grated ginger. If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can use ground ginger in a pinch, about an eighth of a teaspoon. Pour in the lemon juice with agave syrup and mezcal. Pop the top on and shake vigorously.
Fill two scotch or highball glasses with ice (or a large fancy ice cube if you have one!) and pour the drink through a fine mesh strainer into the glasses.
This cocktail has some real depth with the smoky flavor from the mezcal and the sweetness from the agave. It’s definitely going to be one in our regular rotation.
- 4 ounces lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ounces agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 ounces mezcal
- Mix lemon juice with agave syrup. Let sit until agave syrup completely dissolves.
- Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add grated ginger.
- Pour in lemon juice agave syrup mixture and mezcal. Pop on top and shake vigorously.
- Fill 2 scotch or highball glasses with ice.
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer into glasses.