Raisin Apple Spice Cake
There is no denying fall is here with the cooler weather and darker days after Daylight Savings time. All of this makes me crave more cozy foods. This cake is the perfect example made with warm spices and apples.
Let’s get to it!
Start by preheating your oven.
In a medium bowl mix together the flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. You guys know how much I love cardamom (especially with apples), so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I decided to use it in this cake. Together with the cinnamon, it creates a warm homey flavor perfect for this time of year.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or mixing bowl, add the sugar and olive oil.
Whisk on medium speed until it’s combined. Now add the eggs one at a time and whisk another two minutes, until it’s increased in volume.
Now add the flour and the dry ingredients. Mix just until those ingredients are almost mixed in.
It’s time to mix in the apples and raisins.
Fold those in by hand. The cake batter will be very very thick.
Coat a nonstick cake pan in cooking spray. Put a piece of parchment paper in and coat that also in cooking spray. This will ensure the cake is easy to get out and put on whatever plate you want. Now scoop the cake batter into the pan and spread it out so it’s in an even layer. The batter is so thick, I actually just press it down with my hands.
Now sprinkle the top with the turbinado sugar. If you don’t have turbinado, you can use regular white sugar. I just like the crunch this coarse sugar adds to the cake.
Bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let it cool in the pan. Then lift out the parchment and peel off the cake onto a serving plate.
When you’re done it is moist and has some nice texture from the apples and raisins in the cake and the crunchy sugar on top. As I said, I also love the warmth the spices add.
Obviously this cake makes a great dessert, but I actually love it as breakfast cake also.
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large apples peeled and finely chopped
- 2/3 cups golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar for the top
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whisk olive oil and sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs 1 at a time and whisk another 2 minutes.
- Add flour and dry ingredients. Mix just until almost mixed in.
- Fold in apples and raisins.
- Coat a nonstick cake pan in cooking spray. Put parchment paper in the pan and coat that in spray as well.
- Scoop cake batter into pan and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan and serve.