Bulgur & Apple Spinach Salad
I’m trying to up my lunch game now that I’m back to work. It’ll help me eat better and prevent me from spending money buying lunch so it’s a win-win! My focus is going to be on things I can make early in the week and then eat for lunch the whole week. This salad is perfect for that very reason!
Let’s get to it!
Start by cooking your bulgur based on the package instructions. I got the idea to use bulgur when Derek and I splurged with a dinner at The Herbfarm a few weeks ago. One of the courses featured bulgur and it was delicious! It has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture that’s wonderful. Once the bulgur is cooked, set it aside to cool.
Once the bulgur is cool, it’s time to make the dressing! In a jar or small bowl, add the apple cider vinegar, apple juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt. Shake or whisk until it’s all combined.
Now add the apple chunks and about a quarter cup of the dressing to the bulgur. Stir it until the dressing is mixed in.
At this point you can store all of the components in the fridge to eat later or go ahead and assemble the salads. To assemble a salad, put about two cups of spinach leaves in a bowl. Then add about a quarter of the bulgur mix, cheddar, and almonds. Pour on some dressing and enjoy!
This salad has a bit of sweetness from the apple juice in the dressing and the apple chunks in the actual salad. It’s offset by the salty richness of the cheddar and the almonds add a nice crunch. It’s definitely going to be one of my new lunch standbys!
- 1 cup bulgur uncooked
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1 medium apple cut into bite-sized chunks
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup roasted salted almonds, coarsely chopped
- Cook bulgur based on the package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- Combine apple cider vinegar, apple juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt.
- Add apple chunks and about 1/4 cup of dressing to bulgur. Stir until dressing is mixed in.
- At this point you can store all of the components in the fridge to eat later or assemble the salads. To assemble a salad, put about 2 cups of spinach leaves in a bowl. Add about a quarter of the bulgur mix, cheddar, and almonds. Pour on some dressing and enjoy!