Often when I’m thinking about recipe ideas for the Flavor of the Month, I ask Derek for help. He’s always got some good ideas and this month was no exception! I already had several dessert-y grilling ideas, so I wanted to think of something savory. Derek suggested stuffed burgers so we started thinking of ways to make a cheese-stuffed burger unique. Queso was the answer (isn’t is always?)!
Let’s get to it!
The first order of business is making the queso. You’ll need to make it a few hours ahead of time so it can cool and solidify. That might sound a little strange, but you want it more solid so that it’s easier to stuff the burger patty. Put the cream cheese and salsa in a small pot.
I chose a chunky mild salsa, but you can use whatever tomato-based salsa you like. Cook that over medium heat until the cream cheese melts.
Now add the cheddar and pepper jack and stir until those are melted. Take it off the heat to cool and solidify.
After the queso has had a few hours to cool it’s time to make the burgers! Turn your grill on to medium heat. Mix the chorizo and hamburger together in a medium bowl. I find the easiest way to do this is with your hands.
Once it’s all mixed together divide the meat into three or four balls, depending on how large you want your patties. Now divide each of those in half. Take half of the halves (three or four) and press them into patties with a divot in the center. Now scoop some queso into each divot.
Form the other halves into patties and gently place on top of the queso.
Pat each one around the edges to seal. Place each burger on the grill and cook about five minutes.
Flip and cook another five minutes or until the burgers are firm. You’ll have extra queso left over (you’re welcome).
While the burgers are cooking, you can get everything else ready. You’re going to make a chipotle mayo by mixing the chopped chipotle peppers with the mayo in a small bowl. You should be able to find these chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the Mexican section of your grocery store.
Toast the buns and spread mayo on each one.
Place the burgers on each bun and top with the shredded lettuce. This just adds an element of crunch to balance out the creamy queso.
This burger is so tasty! The chorizo adds some smokiness to the patty and of course there’s the delicious queso oozing out. The chipotle adds a nice flavor also without adding too much heat. Serve with tortilla chips and more queso on the side if you really want to go for it!
- 8 ounces cream cheese cut into pieces
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound chorizo
- 1/2 pound hamburger
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- Cook cream cheese and salsa over medium heat in a small pot until the cream cheese melts.
- Add the cheddar and pepper jack and stir until melted. Take it off the heat to cool a few hours.
- Turn grill on to medium heat.
- Mix chorizo and hamburger together in a medium bowl.
- Divide meat into 6 or 8 balls. Take half and press into patties with a divot in the center.
- Scoop some queso into each divot. Form the other halves into patties and gently place on top of the queso. Pat each one around the edges to seal.
- Grill about 5 minutes per side or until burgers are firm.
- Mix together chopped chipotle peppers and mayo in a small bowl.
- Toast the buns and spread with mayo. Place the burgers on each bun and top shredded lettuce.