Don’t Judge Me Mondays: Black Forest Shake
Derek and I celebrate our 7th anniversary today! It’s hard to believe it’s been 7 years already! While my health and other things have put some bumps in the road, we’ve gotten through it together and there’s no one else I would want by my side through it all. Derek is such a thoughtful, intelligent, and funny man and I am so lucky to have him in my life.
I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned before, but our wedding cake was red velvet and chocolate marbled. It was an homage to my parents’ wedding cake. I thought it would be fun to create a cocktail centered around that in some way. Since the flavors were basically chocolate and chocolate, I decided to focus on the colors. Derek loves Black Forest cake, so chocolate and cherry seemed like a flavor combo I could use that would also match the coloring.
Start by getting your ice cream out so that it will soften a bit. Now you’ll work on the cherries. Put the cherries and sugar in a blender and process until they are smooth.
I chose frozen cherries that have ben thawed because they are nice and soft. Pour that out into a bowl and set aside.
Next make the shake. Put the milk and chocolate ice cream in the blender (it’s ok if there’s remnant of the cherries left) and blend until it’s smooth. Add the kirsch and blend until it’s mixed in. This will really bump up the cherry flavor!
It’s time to assemble your shake. This will make one mondo or two smaller milkshakes. In your glass, pour about half of the cherry mixture.
Top with half of the milkshake. Then add the rest of the cherries and top with the rest milkshake. Take a straw or spoon and gently swirl it in your glass all the way down to the bottom so the milkshake has a marbled effect.
Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate and enjoy!
Do you have an anniversary drink? What was the flavor of your wedding cake? Let me know in the comments!
- 2 cups chocolate ice cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen cherries, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces kirsch
- whipped cream and chopped chocolate for topping
- Take ice cream out to soften.
- Blend the cherries and sugar until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the milk and chocolate ice cream in the blender and blend until smooth. Add the kirsch and blend until it's mixed in.
- Pour about half of the cherry mixture into a glass. Top with half of the milkshake and repeat. Take a straw or spoon and gently swirl it in your glass all the way down to the bottom so the milkshake has a marbled effect.
- Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate and enjoy!