Honeydew & Cucumber Salad
When I was in middle school, the cucumber melon fragrance came on the scene at places like Bath and Body Works I was hooked. It had a sweet and fresh scent that made me feel so sophisticated. I have’t worn the fragrance for a long time, but every once in awhile I think about it. Because I’m me I started pondering the duo as a flavor combo. It seemed like it would be really nice for a summer salad, slightly sweet from the honeydew with a fresh crunch from the cucumber. I had to try it!
This salad is nice and simple and works as a side to complement some fish or roasted pork, or any BBQd items. I think it would also make a nice light lunch when paired with some yogurt. As the weather continues to get warmer this summer you’ll welcome how refreshing it is. I chose mint, honey and lime to add to the mix just to enhance the flavors of the melon and cucumber and add a little something extra. If you’re not a big mint fan, I bet basil would work well here too.
Let’s get to it!
You’ll start my making the dressing. Add your lime juice, honey, salt and olive oil to a small bowl or jar and stir or shake until the honey has dissolved.
Now to the main part of the salad. Put the cucumber and melon pieces into a medium bowl and mix it all together. I chose English cucumber for this because they have less seeds, which make for a less soggy salad and the peel can be eaten. It’s a win-win!
Let’s put it all together! Pour the dressing over the cucumber and melon pieces and then add the mint. You’re adding the mint after the dressing so that it sticks to the fruit and doesn’t just end up on the bottom of the bowl.
Stir it all together until everything is covered with the dressing.
Serve this salad chilled. It’ll last in the fridge 2 days in a covered container.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups bite-sized pieces honeydew (about 1/2 a large melon)
- 2 cups English cucumber cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 medium cucumber)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Add lime juice, honey, salt and olive oil to a small bowl or jar and stir or shake until honey has dissolved.
- Mix the cucumber and melon pieces in a medium bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and melon pieces and add the mint. Stir until everything is covered with the dressing.
- Serve this salad chilled. It'll last in the fridge 2 days in a covered container.