Lemon Rosemary Ice Cream
Some of you may have seen some of my Instagram posts about my new ice cream maker! I got the KitchenAid bowl that churns ice cream and it has been working like a dream! So far I’ve made 2 flavors and today I am sharing the first one. This ice cream is creamy and lemony and filled with bits of fresh rosemary. It’s sweet, tart, refreshing and perfect on the lovely sunny days we’re FINALLY having here in the PNW!
Let’s get to the ice cream!
This ice cream comes together fairly easily. I will admit that I have not tried it without the ice cream maker….I have officially become one of those people I used to despise (what if I don’t have an ice cream maker, grr!). I will try to experiment (this clearly will not be the last time I make this) and will report back for those of you without ice cream makers. In the meantime, I apologize.
Start by whisking together the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar in a small pot.
Then whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat.
You’re waiting for it to thicken and start to simmer, which will take about 7 minutes. Now pour that mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl that is fridge-safe.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to cool completely.
Once the mixture is cooled, stir in the heavy cream.
Then pour it into your ice cream maker and churn until it has started to freeze and firm up (this only took about 10 minutes in mine).
Pour half of the soft ice cream into a freezer-safe container and sprinkle with half of the rosemary.
Put in the rest of the ice cream and top with the remaining rosemary.
Now you’ll stir the ice cream to get the rosemary all in there.
Cover the ice cream and pop in the freezer for at least 2 hours. You want it to firm up.
Serve and enjoy!
This ice cream is great by itself but would also be lovely with a slice of pound cake or shortbread.
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Whisk the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar in a small pot.
- Whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat until it thickens and starts to simmer, about 7 minutes.
- Pour that mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl that is fridge-safe.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to cool completely.
- Stir in the heavy cream and pour it into the ice cream maker and churn until it has started to freeze and firm up.
- Pour half of the soft ice cream into a freezer-safe container and sprinkle with half of the rosemary. Put in the rest of the ice cream and top with the remaining rosemary.
- Cover the ice cream and freeze for at least 2 hours.