Don’t Judge Me Mondays: Blood Orange Margarita
On Friday afternoon I was running out of steam, ready for the weekend and started daydreaming about cocktails. I asked my friend Carrie for some inspiration and we got to talking about margaritas. That led to flavors of margaritas other than just the typical lime. Blood oranges came up and I felt like that would be a perfect flavor for this time of year! I also realized something- I’d never made margaritas from scratch (how is that possible!?). The weekend began and so did the experimentation. There’s something so exciting about trying out a new recipe. 🙂
Let’s head to Margaritaville (sorry, I couldn’t resist)!
You’ll start by juicing the blood oranges. I love the surprise of these oranges. On the outside they may look like any basic orange and then they’re sliced open and that lovely ruby red color appears! I was worried these oranges would be harder to find, but Derek was able to get them at our local grocery store. He said they were in the section with tropical fruits (go figure).
Once you’ve got your juice, mix it with the honey in a small bowl until it’s dissolved.
Set that aside and prepare your glasses. I always forget about this part when using a sugared glass for a cocktail and then I’m disappointed when I have to delay the cocktail to do this. Learn from my mistakes and do this now. 😉 Pour the sugar in a small plate and rim your glasses with lime.
Now dip each glass in the sugar and move it around to get the sugar stuck.
Carefully fill the glasses with ice. Now you’re ready!
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour in the blood orange juice/honey combo, silver tequila and the juice of half of a lime. I believe the traditional margarita has lime, triple sec and tequila. Since we already have the orange flavor from actual oranges, I decided to forego the triple sec.
Pop on the top of your shaker and shake vigorously for a few seconds. Evenly divide between the two glasses.
Garnish with a small piece of blood orange if you’re fancy.
- 5 ounces blood orange juice, about 6 oranges
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 ounces blanco (silver) tequila
- 1 lime half
- sugar and blood orange wedges for garnish
- Juice the blood oranges.
- Mix juice with honey in a small bowl until it's dissolved.
- Pour the sugar in a small plate and rim the glasses with lime. Dip each glass in the sugar and move it around to get the sugar stuck.
- Carefully fill glasses with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour in the blood orange juice/honey combo, silver tequila and the juice of half of a lime.
- Pop on the shaker top and shake vigorously for a few seconds.
- Divide evenly between two glasses.
- Garnish with a small piece of blood orange if you'd like.