Don’t Judge Me Mondays- Cranberry Cozy
Even though the weather was sunny and warm last week I am still in the mood for warm, comforting drinks. My brain has officially clicked into fall mode and there’s no going back! We had some cranberry juice sitting in the fridge and I was curious how it would be as a hot drink. Turns out, it’s delicious! I added some fall spices, orange and booze and it’s officially a cocktail! 😉
Let’s get cozy!
You’ll start by pouring the cranberry juice in a small saucepan along with the orange juice, cinnamon sticks, star anise and brown sugar. I chose to use a natural cranberry juice with less sugar so the drink wasn’t too sweet. If you use a regular brand like Ocean Spray, make sure it’s the juice (not the Cranberry Juice Cocktail) and reduce the brown sugar by half. The orange juice takes the fall flavor up a notch. For the cinnamon sticks and star anise look for them in the bulk spice section if your local grocery store has one. They can get a little pricey and if you only want a few for this one recipe, the bulk section is the way to go.
Cook on medium until it starts to bubble, about 5 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat and pour in the rum. Always remember, when dealing with high proof spirits near the stove, be careful. Now fish out the spices and pour into mugs. This recipe makes 2 servings.
Garnish with a cinnamon stick or star anise.
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- juice from 1 medium orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
- 2 star anise, plus more for garnish
- 3 ounces rum
- Cook the cranberry juice in a small saucepan with the orange juice, cinnamon stick, star anise and brown sugar for about 5 minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour in the rum. Take out the spices and pour into mugs. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick or star anise.