Cranberry Ginger Hazelnut Granola
Do you ever have a craving that pops up out of nowhere? The other day I just kept thinking about granola. It was a sign I needed to whip up a batch! It also seemed like a great time to try out a new recipe with flavors inspired by fall! Dried cranberries came to mind first and I’ve been wanting to make something with ginger so I threw that in the mix. It needed a nut in it and I haven’t made granola with hazelnuts before so they were the winner. It is a great combo!
Let’s get to it!
Start by preheating your oven and lining a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Now whisk the maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and ground ginger until it’s smooth. If you really like ginger and want your granola a little spicy, use three teaspoons. I only wanted a mild ginger taste so I used two.
Then slowly whisk in the vegetable oil until the mixture is completely combined.
Now add the hazelnuts and oats (the cranberries will be added later). The oats don’t have to be anything fancy, just make sure they aren’t instant. I typically use Quaker or the Safeway brand because that’s what I have on hand.
Now mix everything together with a rubber spatula, making sure to scoop the syrup mixture from the bottom. Mix until the oats and nuts are even coated. Pour this onto your prepared cookie sheet.
Even everything out with your spatula and then press it to the edges. You are compressing it so that you’ll get bug chunks of granola when you break it apart.
Now it’s time to put it in the oven. Bake for forty-five minutes, rotating halfway through. When you take it out of the oven, it’ll still seem soft but you’ll let it cool for about an hour. In that time you’ll hear it pop and sizzle and that’s the granola getting crispy and crunchy.
Once the granola is cool, pour it gently into a clean bowl. This is another reason the parchment paper is used. You can pick up the parchment paper by each end and you basically have a scoop! 🙂 Now carefully mix in the dried cranberries, so that they don’t all sink to the bottom. The granola will last in a covered container for two week.
This granola is crunchy with a lovely ginger flavor. The cranberries add some nice tartness and the hazelnuts come in with crunch. It’s great over yogurt or would be a fun topping for pumpkin ice cream.
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and ground ginger until smooth.
- Whisk vegetable oil slowly until the mixture is completely combined. Add hazelnuts and oats and mix everything with a rubber spatula, making sure to scoop the syrup mixture from the bottom. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Even out and compress with spatula.
- Bake 45 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool for an hour.
- Pour gently into a clean bowl and carefully mix in the dried cranberries, so that they don't all sink to the bottom.
- The granola will last in a covered container for two week.