Don’t Judge Me Mondays: Tropical Storm
I’m sure that some of you have heard of a drink called the Dark and Stormy. It’s a classic cocktail with ginger beer and dark rum. Since I love coconut so much (and by now you know I can’t leave well enough alone), I wanted to make my own version.
Let’s get started!
Always start with a fun glass. You can find a lot of fun ones, like the one I used, at Ikea (only $0.99!). The main thing we’re looking for is the size- it should be an 8 ounce glass.
Fill the glass you’ve chosen about halfway with ice. Add 1 ounce of Ginger Beer. I should mention that ginger beer is typically different than your basic ginger ale. It’s always made with fresh ginger, is less sweet, and has a sharper or “spicier” ginger taste. It works wonderfully with the coconut rum in this cocktail. If you can’t find it anywhere, ginger ale will work in a pinch.
Add the coconut rum and then top off with the rest of the ginger beer and lime juice.
If you’re feeling especially tropical, add a garnish of fresh pineapple and Maraschino cherry.
I hope this cocktail brings a little of the tropics to your Monday!
- 3 ounces ginger geer
- 2 ounces coconut rum
- lime wedge
- Fresh pineapple and Maraschino cherry, for garnish
- Fill an 8 ounce glass halfway with ice.
- Add 1 ounce of ginger beer and the coconut rum.
- Add the other 2 ounces of ginger beer and a squirt of lime from the wedge. Stir.
- Garnish with fresh pineapple and Maraschino cherry on a cocktail stick, if you'd like.